14 February 2019

Rouen 1999

This is another one of those mornings on which I can't stop messing with pictures. In the organizing work in my archives, I ran into a set of photos I took in Rouen in 1999. Walt and I were in Paris for a couple of weeks, and CHM was in Paris at the same time. It was late May or early June. The three of us went to Giverny and Rouen on a day trip.


I took some photos from a place that's called la corniche de Rouen. It's a road that runs along a steep hillside on the southeast side of the city, and the views are spectacular. As it turned out, we didn't have great weather that afternoon, but we had a great time. The photo above is a composite — I stitched it together from two smaller photos, "processed" it, and enlarged it. I like it that you can see all three of Rouen's big churches in the photos above and below. From left to right, they are the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Rouen, the Église Saint-Maclou, and the Église Saint-Ouen.


Here's another one. It required far less processing. I'm not sure where I took it from. It shows the Seine, the city of Rouen, and what seems to be a park. That day, we had rented a car in Paris, and we were upgraded to a very fancy Mercedes by the rental company. We traveled in style, and we needed to drive because we wanted to see Giverny (Monet's garden) as well as Rouen.


We spent the afternoon walking around Rouen, I believe, going to a museum with a friend who lived in Rouen at that time. Anyway, here are a few old photos. I'm not even sure what camera I was using in 1999. On second thought, it must have been the Kodak DC260.

6 comments:

  1. I took a picture of you and Walt in front of the La Couronne restaurant. I think it is that same year we went to the Jardins Albert Kahn in Boulogne-Billancourt, and at the museum l'Orangerie with Gabby and Mary and had dinner with them at the Grand Bistrot de Breteuil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exact, tout ça. Si je me souviens bien...

      Delete
    2. IIRC, Walt and I offered you the Kodak DC260 for Christmas 1998, when I was in SF in December. You gave it to me after you bought, I guess, what was a newer and more sophisticated Canon digital camera, circa 2001 or 2002

      Delete
  2. Monet's garden is one of my favorite memories of France. Rouen is a nice place.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?