05 December 2020

One of those mornings...

The day has started off with a series of failures. The boiler, which heats water for our steam radiators/central heat, keeps turning itself off and displaying an error message. The boiler is only a few years old. The clothes dryer keeps turning itself off too, but it's 17 years old and probably needs to be replaced. We hardly ever use it, but this morning I decided to throw in some socks, underwear, and t-shirts that got washed overnight. I wanted to dry them quickly. No luck with that.


Walt got up a few minutes ago and his computer wouldn't start up. He finally got it going but the Microsoft updates to Windows that he set to download and install last night don't seem to be there. And my Android tablet — the one I use the most, up in the loft — turned itself off and reported that the battery was completely discharged. I don't know why. I checked connections and the battery now seems to be charging again. We'll see.


Did I mention that Tasha pooped on the floor in Walt's computer office yesterday morning? She's never done anything like that before. We are keeping an eye on her. She's a Shetland sheepdog and will be 4 years old (already) in February. And on and on it goes. And I've spent two hours this morning trying to find some old photos that I posted on my blog in 2006, but I can't find them anywhere. I'd like to re-process them to enlarge them. Here's a link to the post they're in. It's about why we decided to leave California and move to the Loire Valley.


Here I'm posting few more photos from the Pocé gîte back in 2002. It didn't look much like San Francisco. We arrived in Pocé on December 7, 2002, so it was 18 years ago this weekend. We started working with a real estate agent on Monday, December 9, that year, and in just three or four days we saw 14 or 15 houses that were for sale in our price range. By the end of that week we had signed the papers to buy the house we've now lived in for more than 17 years. It was a wild ride, and I guess it still is.

12 comments:

  1. Perhaps you had a power surge? Or a short? The common theme seems to be electricity, except for Tasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that it's odd how you never get just one thing go wrong at any one time but then it does seem a bit of a coincidence. Maybe a power surge is the answer, although not with the tumble drier, that could be a combination of lack of use and old age!! My dad's drier is probably 25 years old and still going strong, but he uses it two or three times a week. The boiler we inherited at our house in France was only 12 years old but was doomed due to lack of use. We gave up chucking money at it in the cost of repairs and bought a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to add that maybe something frightened Tasha which caused her to have "an accident".

      Delete
    2. I don't think anything frightened Tasha, but I can't be sure. She's behaving normally now. The dryer probably needs to be replaced. Or maybe we just won't have one. We have a clothesline in the garage where we can hang up wet laundry to dry. As for the boiler, we had a new one put in 4 or 5 years ago. The error condition is one we've seen before and reported to the company that installed it and maintains it now. I guess I'll have to talk the those people again.

      Delete
  3. Things happen in threes....or sometimes sixes!
    I wouldn't worry too much about Tasha, she may have picked up something tasty and dead on a walk, collies have a proclivity in that direction. We have had 11 over many years. Or she may be coming into season which may occasionally upset their system. if it happens more than 3 times or she is distressed, then call your vet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are sort of up a creek without a paddle when we have electrical issues nowadays since we need our internet. We had a partly melted circuit breaker for our swim spa last week. Lewis couldn't find a replacement anywhere so he ordered one on line. He did the work himself (Eagle Scout) and lived to tell the story. I hope Tasha is OK. I like the fact that these photos were taken in December like the one we are living in (sans pandemic lol).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope Tasha is okay. “Things” can be fixed or replaced, although it is quite annoying when they don’t perform as they should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! I'll be curious to know how this all gets resolved, especially sweet Tasha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alien invaders landing their spaceships in the Back 40, messing with all those new-fangled gadgets. That's what it is.
    Hope Tasha's innards settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Status report: the boiler is working normally this morning, as it did all day yesterday after we reset it to clear the error code at 6 a.m. The dryer managed to get my load of small articles of clothing dried, but I think it is on its last legs. Walt's computer is fine after a rough start yesterday. And Tasha seems to be back on track.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?