29 December 2019

50 ans déjà

If memory serves, it was 50 years ago today (or maybe tomorrow) that I first set foot on French soil. I think maybe my flight back then departed JFK airport in New York on December 29, 1969, so I must have landed at Le Bourget airport in Paris on December 30. That day would be the pivotal day of my life. Since then, I have flown across the North Atlantic Ocean about 90 times, because I was always unhappy staying away from France for very long.

In 1969, I was 20 years old. I had been born and had grown up in fairly remote little town on the North Carolina coast called Morehead City, pop. 5,000. Both my parents were born there, and we were part of a sort of a clan, I guess. I had about 30 first cousins, 15 on my mother's side, and 15 on my father's side of the family. I went through school in Morehead from kindergarten through 12th grade. My family was working class, I guess you'd say. My father was a carpenter and cabinet maker by trade. My mother was a clerk in a gift shop from the time I was about 10 years old.

I graduated from from high school in Morehead City in 1967. I was a good student — president of the school's chapter of the National Honor Society. I earned straight A's for all 12 years of my primary and secondary schooling, I believe. Getting a B on my report card would have thrown me for a loop. I had summer jobs from the time I was 15, working as what we called a car-hop, carrying meals out to customers in their cars parked in front of fast food restaurant. Then for two or three summers I rented Sunfish sailboats and gave summary sailing lessons to people who wanted to try them out. And I worked for a couple of summers in the tackle and bait shop at a local fishing pier, including one summer on the night shift as a short-order cook in the pier's grill room, flipping burgers and making egg sandwiches for hungry fishermen from 9 p.m to 5 a.m.

Earlier, I had come into contact with people who spoke French. I must have been 10 or 12 years old when a local man returned home from being stationed in France as a member the U.S. military. He brought his French wife with him. Her name was Colette, and she and her husband had two daughters who were maybe five years younger than I was. The girls and their mother spoke French together, and I was fascinated to hear a "foreign" language for the first time in my life. My high school offered a four-year French program, and I signed up for it. It turned out that I had a talent for it.

When the time came to figure out what I would do after graduation from high school, I of course wanted to go to college (as we say in America, meaning university). It never occurred to me that I could become a student at a university outside North Carolina. Fortunately, there were several very good universities in the state, including the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and, nearby, Duke University in Durham. I ended up at Duke because I got a scholarship — my family didn't have the kind of money it would have taken to pay my tuition, room, and board at a private university like Duke. The scholarship covered it.

I took a test the university used to evaluate new students' level in French, and I was judged to have good enough skills to be exempted from the first two years of French language courses at Duke. Taking two years of classes to attain that level of competency in a foreign language was a requirement at Duke and other universities back then. At Duke, students like me who didn't need the language classes were still required to take a year of classes in French to prove they could do so successfully. That meant literature, and the teacher of the class I took was a very well-known professor — an American who had spent many years in France, and who had written numerous books about French literature.

That professor, whose name was Wallace Fowlie, liked me. He taught in a way that fit perfectly with my style of learning and test-taking. He would give a lecture about some famous author or some period of French literature. Then he would give us a test that was designed to make us to say back to him, in writing, what he had told us in the lectures. I think he taught the class in French, but it's hard to remember. There were about 20 of us in his class, and I got an A on every test, I believe. After my first year at Duke, I had satisfied what was called "the language requirement" and I moved on to focus on other subjects, mostly mathematics and science. I had gone to Duke with the idea that I wanted to become a marine biologist. My father wanted me to be a scientist.

Was I ever miserable during the time I was studying those subjects and taking no French classes! I struggled that year, which was the worst of all the years I spent as a student. At the end of that second year, I and all the other students at Duke were required to choose "a major" — a subject that they would focus on for the next two years to earn their bachelor's degree. I considered majoring in English, but I went to talk to a couple of professors in that department, and they didn't seem very interested in my credentials or prospects. Then I went to talk to a couple of professors in the university's French department. They welcomed me with open arms. I had done very well in professor Fowlie's classes, and they must have thought I had potential. So for the first semester of my third year at Duke, I signed up for a couple of French classes and again became a happy student.

But the truth was, my real and greatest desire was to go spend some time in France. Duke had an agreement with another school, Vanderbilt University, under which we students could apply to spend six months in Aix-en-Provence working on our language skills and studying French literature and history. So I applied and was accepted. Vanderbilt arranged a charter flight for us from JFK airport to Paris. We were on our own as far as getting to New York was concerned. I flew from Raleigh-Durham airport to New York. It was the first time I ever flew on an airplane. It was snowing when I got to JFK and met up with the other students who were going to Aix to spend the spring semester there. I knew several of them from having been in French classes at Duke with them. There must have been about 25 of us.

We landed at Le Bourget and were met by the Vanderbilt professor who was going to be the leader of our group and director of the study-abroad program in Aix. His name was Jean Leblon, and he was Belgian. We spent a night or two in Paris, in the Latin Quarter at the Hôtel Monge on the rue Monge, before continuing on to Aix-en-Provence on another chartered flight. Monsieur Leblon took us out to a restaurant that first night, and he had order a roasted suckling pig for our group dinner. I think he was trying to shock us protected and provincial young Americans. Seeing a whole roasted pig on the table, with an apple in its mouth, did the job. But for me, the pork we ate much reminded me of pulled pork and the "pig-picking" barbecues I had always enjoyed in eastern North Carolina.

I had only had classes with one native French-speaking professor at Duke, and she was a teacher whose conversation classes I did not enjoy. I did like Monsieur Leblon, and I liked the other teachers who worked for the Vanderbilt-in-France program. The class I did best in was focused on French pronunciation and phonetics, but I also enjoyed the literature and history classes. I admit, though, that I mostly just enjoyed being in France.

After a week or two of preliminary pronunciation lessons, the teacher of the phonetics class gave us our first real assignment. We were to learn a 10- or 12-sentence passage (M. Seguin et ses chèvres...) in French and then read it in class while our voice was being recorded. And then the teacher would critique each student's performance, and explain to us how we could improve our spoken French. He was brutally honest with us students, and didn't hesitate to tell some of them that they had a long way to go to become fluent. To me, it felt like he was berating students rather than encouraging them.

When my turn came, I read the passage and hoped for the best. I don't remember being particularly nervous. Over my first two or three weeks in Aix, French pronunciation had suddenly started to make sense to me. I lived with a family, shopped in markets, and ordered food in restaurants. I met some French students who were enrolled in the Université d'Aix. I started listening to French music on the radio and going to French movies. The spoken French language had really started making sense to me.

Well, I read my passage in front of the teacher and the other students, and prepared to be told I needed to make a lot of progress over the course of the semester. When I finished reading, the teacher paused for a minute or two, reflecting on what he had heard, and then he asked the other students what they thought of my reading. They of course didn't know what to say, but the ones I knew as friends from classes at Duke were positive. Finally, the teacher said to the class: Eh bien, c'était parfait. He had no criticism to offer. I was stunned, and of course really pleased. I was off and running. I ended up spending seven school years in France between 1970 and 1982, as a student and then as a teacher — teaching English to French students and adult learners.

32 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Ken.... no bleedin' wonder you like France!
    I wish that my French lessons hadn't been all one way!
    Reading and listening to French dictation and translating it into understandable English....
    but that's the way the examiners required it to be done.
    Only now, as I approach 70 am I really beginning to speak French [apallingly]...
    but I can now just about make myself understood!
    My knowledge of English grammar is bad... my knowledge of French is almost non-existant...
    and as for pronounciation!
    There is a French saying for people who speak French badly...
    something to do with pigs I think...
    my spoken French is an insult to those pigs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,
      What I think you are refering to is the expression, Parler le français comme une vache esoagnole. One explanation is a derivation of, Parler français comme un Basque espagnol.

      Here is what L'Internaute says in French : La première explication concernant les origines de cette expression serait une altération du mot "vasces" qui signifiait "basque". Ainsi, on aurait pu dire "parler le français comme un Basque espagnol".

      If you Google the expression, you'll find more explanations. But none is really for sure!

      Delete
  2. Such a complete and fascinating tranche de vie! You certainly were a gifted student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about gifted, but somehow this was all meant to be. When in 2003 Walt and I decided to quit our jobs, sell our house in San Francisco, and apply for visas we needed for our move to Saint-Aignan, I remember telling our friend Cheryl how easy and smooth the whole process was. That's because it was meant to be, she said.

      Delete
  3. I lurk generally on your blog without much in the way of comment. This is so interesting and charming to read I hope you will share more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is complicated and many factors can make it easier or harder to share what are in fact intimate details.

      Delete
  4. This is an anniversary worth celebrating. What a good thing you were in Wallace Fowlie's class and that you found your way to becoming a French major. This was fascinating to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was so lucky to have had him as a teacher. And I had good high school French speakers too.

      Delete
  5. An amazing post. At my best, my French sounded like a two year old in Paris, still it was fun, and I did try (trying makes travel in France much easier.) My hubby went to grad school at Duke, we donated a Roman funerary inscription to the Museum there a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so jealous of those who can speak french well.....you certainly have a gift
    my brother has that gift too but somehow I got zip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ability or facility in learning and speaking a foreign language is a very mysterious thing. I don't think anybody knows how all that works.

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh, what an interesting story! To me, being a French teacher, the biggest thing that I want to give my students is excitement about the idea of going to France -- sure, lots of language learning, but we all know that you need to go there, to become conversant, and fluent. It's interesting to me to learn about that part of your journey, and I'm certainly glad that your final year in France, as a teacher, was the year that I went :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though you weren't in the phonetics class that I taught that year, I remember you so well from 1981-82 at the Alliance Française in Paris.

      Delete
  8. Switching to a French major changed everything. You are blessed with a good ear for language and have enjoyed that gift for half a century now. The French department at Vanderbilt was good. I was misplaced into a 200 level my first year because I scored well on the written test. I should have opted for a lower level. I still have my literature books from that class and loved it despite it all.
    My first plane ride was to Gatwick airport in '61. We stopped to refuel in Gander, New Foundland and Shannon, Ireland. Planes improved by the time you left JFK.
    I remember thinking "my life is different now". I was only 15 then, but wanderlust knows no age I guess. Thanks for your memories today, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picture you working at that Banque de France branch on the grands boulevards in Paris all those years ago. That was so close to where I lived between 1979 and 1982.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this story of the intersection of initiative, talent, and good fortune. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who in France is not familiar with the sad story of La chèvre de Monsieur Seguin? Even though M. Leblon was Belgian, he must have become a Provençal at heart after teaching in Aix-en-Provence (who wouldn't?). That's probably why he chose sentences from that piece in Les lettres de mon moulin written by Alphonse Daudet in his moulin provençal about 50 miles from Aix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't actually M. Leblon who gave us that assignment, but another teacher that Vanderbilt had hired to give the phonetics class. I don't remember his name. But I remember this: M. Seguin n'avait jamais eu de bonheur avec ses chèvres. Il les perdait toutes de la même façaon. Un beau matin, elles cassaient leur corde, s'en allaient dans la montagne, et là-haut le loup les mangeait. M. Seguin était consterné...

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful post, which deserves to be expanded and published outside of this blog (blogs being a doomed species). I too learned French in Aix-en-Provence but, while I can read the language with ease and delight, my pronunciation and active use of it is dreadful. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be books that are a doomed species...

      Delete
  12. I always loved French. It was my favorite subject, although I also loved biology. I ended up on the other side of your life. I ended up at UNC (with no schlarship.) I placed out of 2 semesters of French and then took French literature, reading Mme. Bovary and Andromache in French. I tutored several friends through their French classes. I thought long and hard about majoring in French, but the program at UNC required spending the third year in Lyon. The thought of living in another country for a year was terrifying to me. Today I would have made a very different decision! But I majored in zoology with the idea of becoming a marine biologist. I got my BS in Zoology but for various reasons I became a teacher. My first 5 years were unhappy. I felt trapped. I wanted to do something else. I went back to grad school to get a masters in microbiology. But something happened. My dad told me that the air traffic controller's test was being given. I took it, did well, and got offered a job. I had the physical, the psychological, the in-person interview, and was finger-printed. I had my date to report for training and my assignment when training was complete. But during the interview, I asked to go up in the tower and observe the controllers. The work looked boring and gave me pause. On the day I had to give my two weeks' notice, I backed out. But my attitude changed. I committed to teaching and felt that now I was a teacher because I chose to be one, not because I could not do anything else! And it was a good decision, since not long after that happened I married a man whose job required frequent moves. After he died I finally made it to France in 2001 and spent 3 weeks; 15 days of that were spent as a part of a guided bus tour all over France. I still periodically sign into Duolingo. But I think how different my life would have been had I chosen to major in French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, I didn't know all that about your life. We grew up very close to each other in Morehead, n'est-ce pas? And we both worked at Sportman's too, right. I think you must be younger than I am. And I think you know some of my cousins, like Ethel and Betty Jean...

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful account, and how very lucky you were to have such gifted and giving teachers. I had a high school French teacher (with a strong Boston accent) who taught by the rote method -- memorize and spout back conjugations of verbs -- and I didn't like it or do well, although I always loved France and French. I do, though, remember reading Camus in French at about age 15 or so. Later, after school, I had for a time a roommate who was half French, and she said I had an excellent accent. Surprise!
    As said earlier, I've found that the people in France are remarkably kind and generous toward foreigners who make the effort to speak the language, however haltingly. And these days, Duolingo is my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful story..and I can't help wondering if there is some French ancestry way back maybe, you have done so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were French huguenot ancestors on my father's side of the family. My mother was convinced they were a factor in my love affair with France.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes,beautiful, I wondered about French huguenot but I didn't like to say! I have read many went to America.

      Delete
  15. Loved this post, Ken. As a kid who grew up in farming country in downstate Illinois, my path to French might seem even more unlikely to some. My high school (graduating class of 25) offered 2 years of French with an (enthusiastic) teacher qui parlait francais comme une vache espagnole. It's a long story but like yours, the itinerary led us both to the Univ. of Illinois and the Illinois Year Abroad program in Paris. After which, our paths diverged academically. Our friendship did not, and Norma and I fondly recall you being an usher at our wedding near New Haven in 1978. Where did those 40 years go or the 50 years since I first set foot in France in the fall of '68. Thanks again for your post, Ken. I don't think I knew about Wallace Fowlie, a giant in the profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Fowlie invited me to dinner at his apartment in Durham, but I was so intimidated by him in that setting, even though I loved his classes, that I was probably a lousy guest. I took his review of French literature (basically Lagarde et Michard) as a freshman in 1967-68. The next time I took one of his classes — 19th century romantic and symbolist poetry — was in 1970, right after I got back from my semester in Aix. I remember that he asked me to stay after class on the first day of the course and asked me if I had taken any other French classes since freshman year. I think we spoke French and he was surprised how fluent I had become.

      Delete
  16. I am late coming to the party! I know a bit about your love of France and adventures, but I was totally surprised to learn that you had been a car hop and a Sunfish sailboat instructor! Wow! Here in Central Illinois I just got to detassel corn and slice bologna in the family grocery store! Well, maybe a bit more, but that was about it. You know how my speaking French began. I'll have to send you an email to tell you what a French woman at the U of I said about my French. I was in French 102 and she expected perfect fluency.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a student in the Vanderbilt-in-France program in the fall of 1968 in Aix. At that time, there were two professors, Jean Leblon and a wonderful French poet. I cannot, however, remember the name of the poet. Was there an individual like this when you were there? If so, do you recall his name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Jean Leblon and his wife very well. But as to a poet, I'm stumped. Was he a younger or older man? I remember a younger Frenchman there, but I don't remember if he was a poet.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?