18 June 2014

Les Desserts

I'll finish up with the meal we had in Bracieux (see yesterday's post) at the restaurant called Au Relais d'Artémis. I didn't get any good photos of the cheese plates we had just before dessert — lighting conditions, with dappled sunlight and intense contrasts, were difficult.


For our dessert, Walt and I ordered the Tarte Tatin, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was almost overwhelmingly caramelized. Tarte Tatin, as probably everybody knows by now, is an upside-down apple tart. It was invented in the region (la Sologne) in the 19th century.


For his dessert, CHM chose the pear poached in red wine, hollowed out, and filled with a sorbet (was it raspberry?). It looked awfully good, as you can see.


After dessert, we had coffee. For Walt and me, that meant an espresso served with a little chocolate tablet. CHM ordered a café allongé — a shot of espresso in a large cup with a pot of hot water he could add to dilute the strong coffee.

*******************

On a different subject entirely, I'm pretty pleased with myself and with my "new" computer — the one I got back in March. After doing a lot of reading on the 'net, I finally figured out how to install Windows 7 alongside Windows 8.1 on the machine, so now I can boot up into either operating system that I want to use. Now I'll have to decide which system will become my main choice for daily use.

12 comments:

  1. it all looks so good I don't know where to start! OM NOM NOM NOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sorbet was cassis [blackcurrant]. The whole thing was as delicious as it looks!

    Good news about your computer. Now, with your new modem/router, you can do marvels!

    Off topic:

    Whatever happened to Starman? I checked his blog, Le Rêve Français, and his last entry was in early January. He seemed to be in a very bad shape. Would Rob [?] put a note on Starman's blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt tells me he "sees" Starman on Facebook these days.

      Delete
  3. I rarely order tarte tatin in a restaurant, in case it's too caramelised, which spoils it.
    The pear looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my biggest mistake was having the cheese course. I was too full by the time dessert was served. Maybe I should have skipped dessert altogether.

      Delete
  4. Ken and Jean, what's "too" caramelized? Too hard, too bitter?

    That poached pear hiding the sorbet is adorable. I think to myself, I could do that. But will I ever?

    chm is the best kind of guest to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn:
      Now I'm blushing. I am as red as a really ripe tomato!

      Delete
    2. Carolyn, yes, I think it can become bitter if over caramelised.
      Not burnt exactly, but no longer sweet. Some people like it like that.

      Delete
  5. that coffee is killing me.... the biggest town near us (still very small) finally got a "real" coffee house. run entirely by hipsters and serving only vegan treats - but they roast their own beans and have an excellent espresso machine. i'm in heaven. good thing it's too far to drive to every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL chm and Carolyn. I've never had a dessert like that pear in red wine with sorbet. I need to get out more!
    Bravo for running two systems, Ken. I think Lewis finds doing that useful somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kan., I love Espresso coffee. And you are very gifted at computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am without words.
    Well... without the right ones, anyway, to describe the beauty of that food (and of your photos of it), knowing how delicious it all would be. Absolutely fabulous.

    Man oh man! Great job on the computer stuff! I remember that we used to be able to switch between OS9 and OSX on my sister's Mac lap top, but one time, we had real difficulty getting it to go back to the other OS... it kind of got stuck somehow. Very cool, though, Ken. You just have one of those minds that perseveres and digs and digs until you know everything there is to know about something. As a teacher, I appreciate that, because I see so many students who don't have any intellectual curiosity. I always appreciate and respect the ones who do.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?