31 July 2006

Got a meme tag...

Thanks to Scott of Needs More Garlic for tagging me. Check out Scott's food and cooking blog — it's great. He's in North Carolina, my home state, and in Durham, where I went to college. Whenever I look at his blog, I have to go into the kitchen immediately and fix something good to eat.

Here's my même liste. I'll try not to be too wordy but you know me:

5 things in my freezer
  • several gallon-size Ziploc bags of cooked collard greens that I grew in my garden last year
  • un pied de veau (a calf's foot)
  • un pied de porc (a pig's foot)
  • many Ziploc bags full of baguette slices (I usually buy too much from the bread lady and end up making crumbs out of them)
  • two quarts of couscous soup left over from a back-yard couscous party I had last Tuesday
5 things in my closets
  • about 85 t-shirts, most of which I got as freebies from the companies I worked for in Silicon Valley
  • a rolled-up map of the vineyards of the Touraine wine area that I mean to get mounted and framed one of these days
  • a navy-blue béret basque that I bought as a gift for my father in 1975 and that my mother packed up and sent me recently when she was getting ready to sell her house
  • an extra QWERTY keyboard (U.S. standard) in case the one I'm using gives up the ghost
  • a box containing hundreds of letters and aérogrammes that I wrote and sent to my parents when I lived in France in the 1970s (in the days before e-mail) — also shipped over to France by my mother, who had saved them in the attic
5 things in my car
  • a map of the French départements with their numbers so that I can identify the home département of passing cars by their license plates
  • two little tokens, one plastic and one metal, that I use instead of a one-euro coin in order to be able to get a shopping cart at supermarkets (you put a coin or token in to unlock the cart, and you get it back when you put the cart back in the rack)
  • a fold-out map of the Loir-et-Cher département, where I live
  • a tire pressure gauge calibrated in pounds per square inch, not bars
  • scanned and printed copies of my passport and residency permit so that I don’t have to carry the originals around all the time
5 things in my wallet
  • 79,23€ because I went to the bank and took out 100€ last Wednesday
  • my California driver's license, which expires in 2008
  • cartes de fidélité from Monsieur Vaillant's droguerie and the Côté Sud wine & gift shop, both on the pedestrian street in St-Aignan
  • a scrap of paper with the phone numbers of my friends the Paulets scribbled on it
  • my library card for the Bibliothèque Municipale in Mareuil-sur-Cher
I'm going to tag my partner Walt to see what he might come up with.

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I'm sure those letters you wrote to your mother will come in handy to bring back some personal history. I never kept a journal, but I do have copies of a lot of letters, and it's amazing what we forget.

    Love your meme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginny, now was your trip to NJ and NY?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?