25 January 2019

Clafoutis de chou-fleur

Okay, here I go again. The other day I made a clafoutis — a kind of crustless custard pie — with "dried plums" (click this link and scroll down). Those are also known as prunes, though the term has sort of fallen into disfavor in the U.S. In France, prunes are fresh plums, and prunes are pruneaux. The classic clafoutis [klah-foo-TEE] is made with fresh cherries (but it's not the season for them, of course).



A day or two earlier I had bought (for 1.09€) a beautiful cauliflower at SuperU — it is definitely cauliflower season now — and Walt and I had talked about how we wanted to prepare and eat it. It must have weighed a kilogram. I often make a gratin de chou-fleur with smoked-pork lardons when I have chou-fleur, and I had made one just a few weeks ago. Then we talked about making a cauliflower quiche. Suddenly I thought: what about a savory clafoutis with chou-fleur. No crust needed.



I steamed the head of cauliflower whole, along with the green leaves that the chou-fleur grows wrapped in — those are good to eat too. They're cabbage leaves, and I saved them for later. I thought it would be better to cook the cauliflower first, before cutting it up, because when you cut up a raw chou-fleur and the florets, they can crumble and you feel like you're being wasteful.



I did have to cut up the florets, because they were going to be too big to bake in a pie plate. They work for a gratin, because you can make that in a deep dish, but not for a clafoutis. So I steamed the cauliflower and let it cool before cutting it up. I arranged the pieces in a buttered baking pan.



I had a stray slice of jambon de Paris in the refrigerator, so I chopped that up and sprinkled the pieces over the chopped up chou-fleur. Then I looked up "clafoutis chou-fleur" on the internet, and of course I found a couple of recipes (here's one) immediately. Everything is on the 'net these days. I was looking for proportions for the custard I was going to pour over the cauliflower before it went into the oven.


So here are the ingredients and quantities that I decided on for the custard:
  •  80 g de farine = ¾ cup of flour
  • 20 cl de crème liquide entière = 7 fl. oz. of heavy cream
  • 20 cl de lait = 7 fl. oz. of milk
  • 4 œufs = 4 eggs
  • 1 pincée de noix muscade = 1 pinch or grating of nutmeg
  • Sel, poivre = salt and pepper to taste
  • 100 g de fromage râpé = 3 or 4 oz. grated cheese


No sugar, right? This is a savory clafoutis. Salt, pepper, nutmeg, and melted cheese provide the flavor, not sugar.


Doing some reading, I thought about the origin of the term "custard" in English. It's actually a sort of "umbrella" term, and there are many different kinds of, and recipes for, custard. It's a term that is more used in the U.K. than in the U.S., I think. And in France, the equivalent term is probably crème, though that also means cream, the dairy product, of course. The word "custard" actually derives from the French word croustade, which means a "filled" crust, like a pie or tart. Tart crusts have been filled with creamy custards for at least a couple of thousand years, apparently. The eggy-creamy mixture used to make a quiche is a custard.


Anyway, pour on the liquid, sprinkle some extra grated cheese over the top, and bake the clafoutis in the oven at 350ºF (180ºC) for 30 minutes or so until the custard has "set up" and browned on top. There you have it. Enjoy hot, at room temperature, or cold. You could decide to make such a clafoutis with broccoli, too. Or spinach.

15 comments:

  1. So, a crustless quiche? I guess you wouldn't add flour to a quiche filling. I often make quiche with cauliflower crust and it's good.
    I'm going to have to try this out. I have a big cauliflower (thoughts of cauliflower crust pizza). My kid hates eggs on their own but loves quiche and clafoutis and Spanish tortillas. Brilliant idea to turn clafoutis into a savory dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crustless quiche recipes I have call for putting flour into the egg and cream mixture. So I'm not sure what the difference between crustless quiche and savory clafoutis would be. I have a recipe for pain d'épinards I've been meaning to try. It's actually a clafoutis d'épinards but cooked in a loaf pan instead of a pie plate.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious and nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious. Next time I want to cook broccoli, I'm making a clafoutis aux brocolis.

      Delete
  3. I passed up a gorgeous cauliflower in the grocery store last night because I wasn't sure what I'd do with it. Now I know. This looks scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replace the cream with milk, and cook in an oven so hot that the oil/fat in the baking tin is starting to smoke, and you have Yorkshire pudding.

    Or pour the same sort of batter on browned sausages and cook in an equally hot oven, and you have (British) toad in the hole (though I suppose "clafoutis de saucissons" sounds a bit posher).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! Last night we had helpings of Yotam Ottolenghi's Cauliflower Cake - recipe in one of his books and on the web. Another version of what you prepared. I'll try your version the next time I find a head of cauliflower at a good price. Lately they have been heading toward 5 dollars each. I get them in the mark down bin at one dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love cauliflower and make crustless quiche often (no flour and a vegetarian version) but cauliflowers are so expensive at the moment. But I may have to give in since this sounds so good. I just succumbed to spending $7.00 for a napa cabbage! I love a salad I make with it, with sliced red radishes, green pepper and green onion and oil and vinegar. But I'd love to find some place that sells them for less, the cabbage and the cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a matter of climate and distance. I'm not sure where the cauliflowers here come from, but probably nearby Brittany, which has a very mild climate without frequent freezing temperatures. Yours would have to come from California, I think, and they end up being priced as a luxury product. I remember noticing in North Carolina, on past trips, that cauliflowers were very small and very pricey.

      Delete
  7. Looks wonderful! I need to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think of clafoutis as being pancake batter that you bake thickly rather than griddle thinly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are different types of pancakes and of batters. American pancakes, supposedly of Scottish origins, are thick and leavened. French crèpes are supposed to be crispy on the edges — hence the name. The clafoutis has a creamy, not cakey consistency, so it's not like a pancake. All these variations are delicious.

      Delete
  9. The following e-mail exchange with our son's partner speaks for itself, Roderick.
    "There is a very interesting receipe for clafoutis de choufleur on
    today's entry for Ken's blog"
    "That looks very, very good.
    I should make this and invite you both over. I probably won't happen immediately, but I'll flag it for sure."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to try the cauliflower clafoutis soon, Roderick, if you haven't already.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?