14 January 2019

Choux de Bruxelles glacés soja et miel

I was poking around in SuperU when I spotted the Brussels sprouts. There was a big bin full of them and they were about the prettiest sprouts I'd ever seen. I had to buy some (at 2.60 euros per kilogram, or about $1.50/lb.). I figured they'd be good with the capon I was planning to cook the next day.







But how would I cook and season them, since I was glazing the capon with honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sriracha? I vaguely remembered that I had once seen recipes on the web for Asian-flavored, stir-fried Brussels sprouts, so I did some googling.





What I came up with was two recipes for roasted Brussels sprouts tossed in a soy-honey marinade. And it turned out to be pretty much the same marinade/basting sauce I was using on the capon. Here's one recipe: Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts. And here's the other one: Crispy Asian Brussels Sprouts. There's the result on the right.

Since I had the capon in the oven for more than three hours the next morning, I really couldn't roast the sprouts in there at the same time. So I decided to steam them first. Then, when the capon came out of the oven to rest before being carved up, I could turn up the oven temperature and then roast the already cooked sprouts in there. It wouldn't take long. I didn't need to trim the sprouts at all before steaming them. Then I just cut the steamed sprouts in half and arranged them cut-side-down on a baking sheet.





Finally, I could toss the hot steamed and roasted sprouts in as much of the honey-soy sauce as I wanted. And they were good. They were slightly browned, but not burned or even really crispy. They had good flavor, a nice texture, and a sweet-and-salty (sucré-salé) glaze, just as the capon did. And I could spoon on more sauce at the table if that seemed like a good idea.

6 comments:

  1. I just always knew there must be some way to make them taste nice. Thank you and I will inform Household Management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Andrew. Walt and I both like Brussels sprouts almost any way they're cooked, and these were very good.

      Delete
  2. The steaming first is a great idea. Prettiest sprouts ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often steam Brussels sprouts and then cut them in half and sprinkle them with flour, before pan-roasting them with very little oil or butter. They're good that way too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was, or is, good. We're having the rest of the sprouts for lunch today. They have only been steamed at this point. I have some of the honey-soy marinade left.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?