04 October 2024

Nous étions à Gacé ...

The little town of Gacé (population 1,800 or so) is about 95 miles east of Paris and 100 miles north of Tours. It's about 60 miles southwest of Rouen, which was our (mine and Charles-Henry's) starting point on our day-long drive down to Vouvray in June 2001. We planned to spend a week (with Walt) touring around in the Loire Valley before going back to Paris. Gacé is in southern Normandy.


There's a joke in my title today. The French word agacer means "to irritate". Ça m'agace ! means "That irritates me" or "That's getting on my nerves." So nous étions à Gacé sounds exactly the same as nous étions agacés ("we were irritated"). Charles-Henry and I joked like schoolboys about that for a good part of the day. Another adjective derived from the the verb is agaçant, as in Arrêtez de dire ça, c'est agaçant or ça m'agace.

4 comments:

  1. I took Walt to the train station in Saint-Aignan early this morning. He is going to Paris and then on to the U.S. for a week-long family visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha and I are staying here to guard the house. See Walt's blog for details.

      Delete
  2. Bon voyage to Walt! Your June of 2001 memories are fun to read about, especially the laughs that you and CHM had together. Tasha will need extra attention this week, and then she'll have a big welcome frenzy when Walt returns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got it!
    I'm headed over to Walt's blog, now.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?