11 October 2024

Arriving in Mortagne-au-Perche

I mentioned a couple of days ago that the town called Mortagne-au-Perche (pop. 3,800) is not very far from three of the châteaux I've posted about recently: Gacé, Médavy, and O. It's a 30- to 40-minute drive. I was there with friends in 2011. From my point of view, it's an interesting place because it has an interesting name, with that -au- stuck in the middle. It's also interesting for one of its culinary specialties, which is the sausage called boudin noir ("black pudding" or "blood sausage" depending on what dialect of English you speak).

These are photos I took in August 2011. In the one on the left above, we are arriving in Mortagne from the northwest. The one on the left is a rainbow we saw as we drove through a brief rain shower not far from the town.


Like many little French towns, it's a old settlement with narrow streets, and located on a hilltop.

It also has cafés like the one above and, of course, a big church at its center.

6 comments:

  1. That's a good looking little French town :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Mortagne and the nearby town called Bellême. We were traveling with Evelyn and Louis, and with Marie-Jacques.

      Delete
    2. Oops, I typed Louis but of course meant Lewis.

      Delete
  2. I am so enjoying your pictures and journey through France.
    They are amazing.
    Linda from Alabama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I'm enjoying it too. I'm planning a road trip that I'd like to take next year in March.

      Delete
    2. Just now seeing these lovely memories! I should meet Linda from AL somehow someday. Our traveling friend, Linda from Tallahassee has moved to Tampa and luckily her condo survived the hurricane.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?