10 September 2026

Progress, I think

Yesterday at noontime I had the scheduled meeting with my French ophtalmologist over in Montrichard, 10 miles downriver from Saint-Aignan. It went well from most points of view. Walt and Tasha drove me over there just in case the doctor told me I needed a driver to take me back home (dilated eyes and all...).

The doctor was genuinely shocked when he examined my eyes by shining some kind of bright lite into my eyeballs. He said that a "secondary cataract" had formed in my left eye (which before the cataract surgery had always been my strong eye; my right eye had always been blurry, since childhood). A secondary cataract was also starting to form in my right eyeball, he said. Both of the secondary cataracts needed to be removed he said.

A secondary cataract is like a cloud or veil over the artificial lens implant and needs to be removed. That veil over the implant that he had put in my eyeball two years ago to replace the natural lens, which was removed He said the removal of the secondary cataract(s) would be done later, using a laser. The laser work has been scheduled for September 28 up in Blois, he said. You will need somebody to drive you home from Blois, he added. Blois is 25 or 30 miles north of Saint-Aignan, on the Loire River.

I had suspected that the laser treatment would be done in Blois, not in Montrichard, which is a village more than a town. Blois is what I'd call  a big town, and it has a big hospital. Driving there and back is less convenient for us, but not prohibitively so. (I happen to know that a taxi company would charge 150 euros round trip to take me from our house to Blois and back. Walt will just have to do the driving again.

I'll have one more appointment with the doctor in Montrichard in October as a follow-up to all of the above.

The main thing about all this is that I can stop worrying, for now, that my eyesight may never be right again. The doctor says it will. Time will tell. Maybe I can relax again, at least until further developments reveal themselves.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?