Yesterday at noontime I had the scheduled meeting with my French ophtalmologist over in Montrichard, 10 miles downriver from Saint-Aignan. It went well from most points of view. Walt and Tasha drove me over there just in case the doctor told me I needed a driver to take me back home (dilated eyes and all...).
The doctor was genuinely shocked when he examined my eyes by shining some kind of bright light into my eyeballs. He said that a "secondary cataract" had formed in my left eye (which before the cataract surgery had always been my strong eye; my right eye had always been blurry, since childhood). A secondary cataract was also starting to form in my right eyeball, he said. Both of the secondary cataracts needed to be removed he said.
A secondary cataract is like a cloud or veil over the artificial lens implant that needs to be removed. That veil over the implant that he had put in my eyeball two years ago to replace the natural lens, which was removed. He said the removal of the secondary cataract(s) would be done later, using a laser. The laser work has been scheduled for September 28 up in Blois, he said. You will need somebody to drive you home from Blois, he added. Blois is 25 or 30 miles north of Saint-Aignan, on the Loire River.
I had suspected that the laser treatment would be done in Blois,if at all, and not in Montrichard, which is a village more than a town. Blois is what I'd call a big town, and it has a big hospital. Driving there and back is less convenient for us, but not prohibitively so. (I happen to know that local taxi companies charge 150 euros round trip to take me from our house to Blois and back. Given those prices, Walt will just have to do the driving again.
I'll have one more appointment with the doctor in Montrichard in October as a follow-up to all of the above.
The main thing about all this is that I can stop worrying, for now, that my eyesight may never be right again. The doctor says it will. Time will tell. Maybe I can relax again, at least until further developments reveal themselves.
It is great to hear from you. Please keep posting.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment. I stilll have two weeks ore more of poor close-up vision ahead of me, which will make it hard to post. One day t a time.
DeleteSo interesting - I didn't know that secondary cataracts could form over an implanted lens. Good to know that it can be cleared up with a laser! How the world has changed from when we were kids and none of this was available.
ReplyDeleteKen, my nephew has the same thing as what you are describing. He was scheduled to have treatment, but the scheduling got messed up, and he was accidentally scheduled to get glasses instead of surgery, and then his insurance changed, and then he has to get a new doctor. A comedy of errors. He is scheduled in October now with new doctor which may be a blessing. So saying a prayer for you and I will be anxious to hear your outcome.
ReplyDeleteMadonna
Holy cow! Well, my heavens... so glad that you finally got to see the doctor!
ReplyDeleteHere’s to fixing your eyesight!
ReplyDeleteI think this is very good news. Despite the fact that you have to wait two more weeks. We will keep our fingers crossed that the laser is successful and hopefully you will be seeing again in October. What an unusual problem but at least it is fixable. Evelyn
ReplyDeleteGlad it can be dealt with and isn't permanent!
ReplyDeletePauline had "cloud cover" after one of her replacements.... that was removed by laser.
She also had bubbles form in one eye, which were removed by laser also.... Pauline came out of that one with the giggles.... the guy operating the laser was whispering "Kerpow, zing, pitchooo," etcetera under his breath (or so he thought....)
So pleased to read that things are moving in a positive direction. It sounds like good sight is coming soon. Good luck in Blois in October.
ReplyDeleteHi Ken, I had cataract removal around the same time as you…..both eyes, done separately. Last week the first eye to de done went totally fogged up. I saw the optometrist on Wednesday. Evidently it happens if a few cells are left in the lens sac when your natural lens is removed, they regenerate and attach to the new lens. I am now listed for laser treatment. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteWhat Seine Judeet said, and it's good to hear from you. Best wishes for a no-hassle fix! I'm having a cataract removed on Monday.
ReplyDeletethat was Chrissoup
ReplyDeleteMay your cataract surgery go smoothly, and may the result not require you to have the laser treatment.. Ken
DeleteThe term "secondary cataract" is misleading. Your cataracts are gone following cataract surgery and can never come back. What you have is some thickening of the lens capsule due to regrowth of residual cells which are removed very easily, quickly and successfully by simple laser treatment. It's just a shame that you have had to wait so long for this to happen and no wonder the ophthalmologist was shocked. Once the laser treatment is done you will have excellent sight again and the problem is very highly unlikely to recur.
ReplyDeleteI meant to add that whilst your cataract procedure was surgery requiring local anaesthetic, laser treatment is not surgery at all, just the shining of a very bright light into your eye through the pupil. I hope this all helps!
DeleteThanks, Jean, this information is helpful. For those you don't know, Jean is a retired optometrist.
DeleteI read about "secondary cataracts" in a medical journal on the internet a few weeks ago. When I went for my appointment with my eye doctor in Montrichard, he handed me a copy of the article and recommened that i read it. The lasering of my eyes (both, I think) is scheduled for 28 September.. I hope you and Nick are happy and well.