Look at what our current heat wave is doing to our long, tall, wide hedge. This is our back yard and it gets full sun in the afternoon. The leaves on the hedge are very sun-burned. We are hoping they will come back when and if we go back into a rainy spell. Why don't we water it? It's because the hot dry weather we've had for months now is affecting the whole country. Farmers are plowing their crops under because the hot sun has killed just about everything. Big trees and grape vines around here are surviving, but that's about all. They are plants with very deep roots.
This photo shows another section of the hedge that is faring better, even though it is south-facing. The photo is from a few weeks ago.





Wow - in all the time I've been reading here, I don't think I've ever seen things at your place so dry and parched. I'm pretty sure the hedge will come back though once things cool down a bit. It's pretty established.
ReplyDeleteWow. What a change for that hedge. I think it will come back, too. Today is cooler and moderate air quality - 3 days all my windows were closed and I had to stay inside. Nothing is forever. Hoping for good days ahead for everyone.
ReplyDeleteI’ve never seen so much brown on your property! I hope you get rain, soon.
ReplyDeleteBettyAnn
Same here Ken, but at least we’ve not had to mow the grass for a couple of months and I’m not sure our hedge will need a trim this autumn. I’m giving up on my veg patch due to the heat and also a persistent nighttime badger! The badger has uprooted most of my plants searching for bugs I guess. Ah well, I’ll try again next year. Hope your post means you’re feeling a lot better.
ReplyDeleteYes, as Jane said, I hope you are feeling better now. I remember coming to France and driving a lot during a drought- it's so sad to see. But as Mary said, "nothing is forever."
ReplyDeleteOh, my goodness!
ReplyDeleteEeek, that just looks awful.... but it will recover, nothing kills laurels!!
ReplyDeleteI've noticed that a lot of trees are having an early Autumn around here.
But on the subject of unkillable laurels, we brought our bay with us when we moved.... it 'died' in the first year... I was about to dig it out when I noticed a new shoot at the base.... it is now three metres high for the fourth time of pruning.
Here’s a new restaurant, https://www.instagram.com/p/Db3SUtzjUrv/?img_index=2&igsh=MWE0NDZtaGtoODRqZg==too bad I couldn’t buy you and Walt a glass of wine!
ReplyDeleteI see France is having another heat wave. Hope you guys are OK. Thinking of you and hoping for a big cooldown.
ReplyDeleteToday you have another scorcher of a day. Haven’t seen you two blogging for over a week. I hope everything’s okay and that you’ve just escaped to a cooler place to get away from the heat. C.
ReplyDelete