18 January 2018

Cunault : la châsse de saint Maxenceul

One of the key figures in the history of Christianity in Europe — especially here in the Loire Valley — is the man called saint Martin de Tours. Martin was a Roman soldier born in the early part of the 4th century (316 or 336, depending on who you believe) and deceased at the end of that century. He converted to Christianity in mid-life and then converted a lot of other people in the Loire Valley. One of his disciples was a man named Maxenceul, also a saint, who evangelized the area west of Tours, near Saumur on the Loire, where the Eglise Notre-Dame de Cunault now stands.




Without doubt, one of the most amazing things there is to see at Cunault is a reliquary chest — une châsse in French — that is said to have been carved from a massive piece of walnut wood in the 13th century. The word châsse is etymologically related to "case", "cassette", and French caisse, meaning "trunk" or "crate". One source I read says that the poly-chrome painting is not original but a later "improvement" (no date specified).




Maxenceul lived nearly a thousand years earlier than the 13th century. He founded a monastery in the Cunault area, on the model of Martin's in Tours. Five hundred years after its founding the Normans (Norsemen, Vikings) invaded central France, pushing up the Loire River. The religious community at Cunault had to retreat eastward.



The monks ended up in Burgundy, carrying the "relics" or remains of Maxenceul with them. A few decades later, when calm returned to the Saumur area, a few of the monks from Cunault returned. With the support of the dukes of Anjou, including Foulques Nerra, they founded a new monastery and built the Cunault church, which was built between the 11th and the 13th centuries. Sometime around the time the church was being completed, some artist or group of artists carved a chest to keep the revered "relics" of Maxenceul in.



I read in another account that one of the miracles cited at the time of Maxenceul's beatification was something that happened in the 16th or 17th century, during the wars of religion. The reliquary chest that supposedly contains Maxenceul's relics (there is some doubt about what is actually inside the chest) was thrown into waters of the Loire by Huguenots. Instead of sinking and being lost, it miraculously floated a few miles downstream and washed up on the banks of the river. Wood floating — imagine!



I wonder if the chest was painted after that incident. Anyway, it's a beautiful piece of work. I was lucky to have good light conditions back in July 2006 when I took these pictures. I wasn't using a tripod, and my camera then was vintage 1999. Maybe these photos are another miracle! I have some more that I will post tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. These are very beautiful and fascinating images.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fascinating post Ken. Was Cunault part of the reliquary pilgrimage trail?

    The carvings are beautiful. This chest look as though it, at one time or another, had an issue with wood worm, given the numerous exit holes in the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do the photos look too red/orange on your monitor. They look okay to me on desktop PC monitors but they appear over-saturated on my Android tablet.

      Delete
    2. I agree with D., this châsse is beautiful. I, too, noticed the worms' exit holes.

      On my iPad tablet and on my Mac laptop the images are very reddish and look about the same intensity. That happens very often (saturated colors) for some pictures I download from the Net. I have to treat those I want to keep either with Preview or Photoshop.

      Delete
    3. On one of my Android tablets, the images look pretty much the same as on our desktop monitors and on my laptop. But on the newer, higher-resolution tablet, the images look very red. It's not easy to adjust the colors on an Android tablet, but there are solutions. I'm trying one out. Is it easy to adjust the colors and saturation on an iPad?

      Delete
    4. That's a good question. TBH, I haven't the slightest idea; I don't even know it is at all possible. So many things aren't possible on iPads!

      Delete
  3. As far as wood color is concerned, how does yesterday first picture compare with today's? Yesterday's wood color is perfect on my tablet and my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell if the images are too red or gold-- they certainly have a reddish-gold tone, but I can't tell if it's too much. I'm looking at them (fascinating images!) on my Mac desktop. I'll check later on my iPad mini (doesn't have the latest retina qualities).
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is clearly a fab church with some great objects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imagine how much time and effort went into making of chest and they made it to last worms, water and time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ken, I have a desktop and the color in the photographs looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It appears these figures were lit with artificial light, which to the camera records as much "warmer" than sunlight. To be technical they are measured in color temperature - daylight is about 5600º Kelvin and tungsten (or artificial light) is 3200º Kelvin. The lower the temperature the warmer the light source.
    No matter what, the carvings are quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cunault is now definitely on my itinerary for 2019 (2018 is fully booked).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near Cunault you have Saumur, Douai-la-Fontaine, Fontevraud, Chinon, and Angers, all full of interesting and beautiful things to see.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?