09 July 2016

Fraises

Fraises is French for strawberries. The Château du Moulin, near Romorantin and 20 miles east of Saint-Aignan, has dubbed itself the strawberry "conservatory" for France.


The strawberry is a "false fruit" made up of a fleshy mass in which are embedded the real, tiny yellow fruits that seem like seeds. ("In fact," the French says, "every time we think we are eating a strawberry, we are really eating a whole bunch of fruits at the same time."

Picking the berries

Making the confiture


I'll let you read this last poster. By the time you read this, I should be in Paris...

11 comments:

  1. The only way I like strawberries is with sugar and red wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good strategy. White or red.

      Delete
    2. I've never tried it with white wine, but with red wine it is wonderful. Have you tried it yourself?

      Delete
    3. I've never tried it chm, but I plan to give it a go. I've gotten a lot of good food ideas on this site. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I tried the new Mariguette hybrid (Gariguette x Mara des Bois) on Wednesday. Delicious! A sweet and soft (but not too soft) variety. Sweeter than the Maras, which we bought for comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Walt should plant a strawberry patch in your newly expanded garden. They're fun and easy
    to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poster about the fraise -- thanks for that! Enjoy Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that, that the strawberry is really a composite of multiples. Although "formé d'un réceptacle charnu" made me think of "charnel". Not a term the marketing people would normally want associated with their berries, I suspect. :-)
    Enjoy your trip to Paris.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?