14 January 2016

Le français est une langue qui résonne

It was 30 years ago today — January 14, 1986 — that Daniel Balavoine was killed in a helicopter accident in the Sahara Desert. He was 33 years old and had written and recorded a series of popular songs that are still much heard in France. He was an idealist, maybe a hothead and an angry young man, but he was really talented above all. He had a pleasant high-pitched voice and an incredible vocal range of several octaves. His words, songs, and sounds resonated with many of us.

One of his early songs is a paean to the French language. It's called "French is a language that resonates..." That means it "carries", it echoes, it reverberates, it rings out. It's something to be proud of, I guess — French linguistic pride. Here's a YouTube video, and the lyrics are below.



Le Français est une langue qui résonne

Quand j'entends s'enrouler les feuilles de l'automne
Que le ciel de l'été dans mon cœur se cramponne

Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne
Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne

Quand du fond du Québec les couleurs se bourgeonnent
Moi je crois bien que c'est la neige qui s'effleure et frissonne

Puis je me dis que le français est une langue qui résonne
Et je me dis que le français est une langue qui résonne

Endormi sous la mer qui saigne sur Narbonne
De mes yeux fatigués pleurent des Sables d'Olonne

Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne
Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne

Langue d'Oc, du Nord, les accents s'époumonnent
Dans ma tête versée mon pays se crayonne

Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne
Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne

Assis près de Calais dessous les lames bretonnes
Je regarde arriver les vagues anglo-saxonnes

Tous mes mots vieux français éclatent et bouillonnent
Tous mes mots vieux français éclatent et bouillonnent

Si les plages et forêts s'asphaltent et se carbonent
Si les ailes collées, les oiseaux abandonnent

Moi qui me crois bon Français, je sens que je déconne
De mes mots censurés que Villon me pardonne

Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne
Je me dis : le français est une langue qui résonne

The song that first revealed Balavoine's talent was this one: Le S.O.S. d'un terrien en détresse, from the late-'70s musical comedy called Starmania. I won't copy the lyrics. You can just listen to the voice.



Un terrien is an earthling. One version of the history of Starmania holds that Michel Berger and Luc Plamondon wrote this song specifically for Daniel Balavoine and his special voice.

11 comments:

  1. French teachers (from France) have been posting about him, and his unfortunate, untimely death, lately. I had never heard of him before that, so thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balavoine was already a major figure in French music and popular culture by 1981-82. He was politically involved, and a humanitarian, and an innovator in music. I never attended one of his performaces in person, and I'm sorry about that.

      Delete
  2. What a voice. Unusual to say the least.
    Belatedly, thank you for your explanation about Mareuil/St. Aignan. I didn't get back to my computer
    yesterday until long after you were probably in bed. Of course your neighbor wouldn't be the mayor
    of just a few houses. I realized how poorly posed my question was just after I clicked "Publish."
    But you sorted it all out.
    works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, I'll ask you and also Walt, among French singers is there somebody whose voice you particularly like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many French singing voices I enjoy. Among those more or less of my generation, Daniel Balavoine, Francis Cabrel, Véronique Sanson, France Gall, Maxime Le Forestier, Serge Lama, Florent Pagny, Laurent Voulzy, Alain Souchon.... In Francophone Canada, Isabelle Boulay, Diane Dufresne, Roch Voisine. I' surely left some out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was not only an exceptional singer, he was a better writer and his lyrics reflect his political commitments. He had a very heated debate with President Mitterand in which he cried out how alienated youth was becoming and how they would end up revolting.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5GIrJqbcaLQ&itct=CAwQpDAYBiITCKWA9O3iqcoCFYQQHAodVqIItTIGcmVsbWZ1SKGA77Wps_uuygE%3D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing that interview live on TV that day, all those years ago, when I lived in Paris. I've learned a lot of French listening to Balavoine and all the other singers I mentioned above. Happy New Year to you and Paul.

      Delete
  6. Ken, thanks for this. Too many taken too soon these days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad to see that Alan Rickman died, and at what is now considered an early age.

      Delete
  7. And I just saw that Celine Dion's husband died. That somehow reminded me of Piaf. Watched some youtubes of le moineau. I need more Piaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piaf's recording career ended more than 50 years ago, unfortunately. Don't you have her œuvres complètes?

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?