13 November 2015

Views from Fort Macon, N.C.

Fort Macon is a local landmark and North Carolina State Park that is visited by more people than a million people annually (according to what I've read). The current brick and stone fort was built in the early 1800s, replacing an earlier wooden fortification, to protect the port of Beaufort from the marauding British (remember the War of 1812?) Anyway, the fort is at the eastern end of Bogue Banks, overlooking Beaufort Inlet, the shipping channel, and the harbor and port terminal at Morehead City.


One of the most recognizable landmarks in Carteret County, N.C., is Cape Lookout lighthouse. It's a brick structure that is 163 feet (50 meters) tall, located on a spit of sand that juts out into the Atlantic Ocean where the Gulf Stream flows. My photo above was taken some 10 miles from the cape and the lighthouse. Remember you can click or tap on the images to enlarge them on your screen.


The town and port of Morehead City were developed in the 1850s by a former governor of the state, John Motley Morehead, and a group of investors. They built a rail line from the state capital, Raleigh, down to the coast, 140 miles distant, to take freight to the deep-water port and bring other freight back. The neighboring town of Beaufort [BOH-furt] had been in existence since the early 1700s.


The port at Morehead has just nine berths for ocean-going ships, but it is deep — 45 feet (nearly 14 meters). Tugboats are a common sight, and fog horns lull you into sleep on foggy nights (or wake you up on foggy mornings). Our house, which my mother sold in 2005, was about a mile from the port and less than 2 miles from the ocean. On stormy night, we could hear the surf pounding the beach.


As we stood on the shore and looked out toward the port and across the inlet toward Shackleford Banks, I noticed a big old jet airliner flying overhead. It looks like a passenger jet, anyway, with the stripes painted on its tail fin. I recognize them but can't think what airline uses that design.

P.S. After doing some searching, I've determined that the plane in the photo above is an Air France jet. I should have recognized it. Now what an Air France jet is doing flying over Morehead City, I'll never know.

22 comments:

  1. On its way to Martinique? Miami? Guyane? Rio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plane was headed west, and it was pretty low in the sky. Mystère.

      Delete
    2. No, my flight to Atlanta from Paris flew over Detroit, Cincinnati, eastern KY and TN, and then into Atlanta from the northwest.

      I see that there is one non-stop AF Paris-Miami flight that lands in Miami at about 6 p.m. I saw the plane at about 4:30 p.m. over Morehead. That must have been it.

      Delete
  2. They just knew you were there and wanted to say : Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Well, I wish one would land at the Morehead-Beaufort airport, let me on, and take off for Paris from here. That would be a lot less trouble than that plane-change and layover in Atlanta.

      Delete
  4. Plane spotting! Good lighthouse photo from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AirFrance flights to Paris leave Charlotte so maybe it was just passing over to wave at you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm watching the new. my gosh. thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, it's horrible. Thanks, Ohiofarmgirl. I'm pretty upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These attacks seem to be coordinated. I hope nothing more is in store for Parisians or other people in France.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cheryl. Yes, I'm ok. I'm back in Virginia. I left Paris two weeks ago. Isn't it terrible what's going on in Paris now?

      Delete
    3. chm, so relieved to hear you are ok. Except for Claire, I'm not sure I know anyone in Paris at the moment. I hope your friends are ok. I don't understand this mess. What makes people think that taking lives is ok under any circumstances? Je n'ai pas auncune idee.

      Delete
  8. Just glad to read you are still in US. This world is topsy-turvy.

    I forgot to mention yesterday that my family stayed on the top floor at the Hotel Marignon, in 1995! We were in the large room even though there were only 3 of us. Walk up (!) - no elevator! Very convenient hotel, But I am glad I'm not there tonight.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondering if the events in Paris will change your travel plans. Is chm in Paris? I am sad/angry/dispairing. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to wait and see what will happen to my travel schedule. I'm upset and feeling angry about all this.

      Delete
  10. We've got to find a way to stop killing each other. That nightclub is three blocks from where our friend Amy lives. She and her children are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for Paris and all of France....The news is so shocking and saddening. Be well. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?