10 November 2015

Two cafés and a restaurant... in Paris

I've been here in North Carolina exactly a week now. I have taken very few photos. Photography was not the purpose of the trip. And besides, it's been pretty rainy (but very warm) on the days when I didn't have one commitment or another to honor. So I'm still posting pictures I took in Paris on Sunday, November 1.


After going to see a show (a play) late that Sunday afternoon, I walked back across central Paris from the grands boulevards to the Quartier Latin, through Les Halles and Châtelet. I crossed the Seine from the Right Bank to the Left Banks near Notre Dame cathedral, because my hotel was near there. I didn't expect these nighttime photos to be as good as (I think) they are. The one above shows a café called Les Deux Palais.


The photo here shows a restaurant (in the center of the image) called Le Bar à Huîtres (the oyster bar) and a café called Le Quartier Général. The street on the left is the rue Saint-Jacques. That Sunday evening was strangely warm and pleasant for the beginning of November. Click or tap on the images to enlarge them.

9 comments:

  1. The Bar à Huitres -- wasn't that the old Russian restaurant back in the 70s? I never ate there, but I remember the menu and the decor you could see from outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Ellen -- don't remember. The hotel where I stayed, Le Marignan, reminded me of the Pierwige in some ways, but not really. Still, it was nice except that they gave me that room on the 6eme. The owner is French and his family has had the hotel for 60 years now. His wife is American, he told me, so the place is really bilingual.

      Delete
    2. I looked up that hotel and it looks like it has several larger family sized rooms. It's too bad they didn't have a room on a lower floor for you....Did you get a view? I like these night time photos a lot. I once visited Paris in December and these photos remind me of the dark nights then.

      Delete
  2. You'll get no complaint from me for photos of Paris :)
    I hope you're enjoying your time here in the U.S. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the time. It's been really busy but in a positive way. We've sorted out some health insurance issues. I've managed to get some documents I need for my naturalization file in France (I want to get dual citizenship). I've bought clothes. We had the "wake" for my aunt and it turned out really fine. And on and on...

      Delete
    2. Do you have any idea how long it will take?

      Delete
    3. No idea. I don't think I can even turn in the papers until Walt goes to Albany next year and gets the apostille for his birth certificate, plus his parents' birth certificates. And an apostille for our marriage certificate as well. Glad to see you back on line.

      Delete
  3. Bonjour Ken,

    We are enjoying a warm November so far here in. Bonne chance pour les démarches administratives pour la citoyenneté ( started it back in 2006 and got it in May 2008). I had to get all the papers for Y's grandparents and since they were born before 1900 , had to reach out to various mairies for both birth and wedding certificates.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?