18 November 2015

Slow trains and a big stand-off

This morning in Paris and in Saint-Denis, just on the northern edge of the city and not far from CDG airport, some kind of stand-off between French police anti-terrorism forces and suspected members of the terrorist group that struck last week is under way. That's what I'm seeing on TV after turning it on to catch the weather and news at 7:00 a.m. The scene is one of dozens of red fire department vehicles with lights flashing, white SAMU ambulances, police cars, and riot police in black uniforms crowded into narrow streets before sunrise this morning, near the big Saint-Denis church where so many French kings are buried.

I made it back to France just fine. In fact, it was one of the easiest trips ever. My short flight from New Bern NC to Atlanta arrived on time. I rode the people-mover train at the Atlanta airport over to the international terminal to find the gate for my Air France flight to Paris, arriving an hour before the scheduled departure. Boarding was already under way, which surprised me. I got in line and was soon seated on the plane, a big Boeing 777.

We pulled away from the gate on time at 6:15 p.m. and we were quickly in the air. Less than eight hours later, we had landed at Roissy-CDG airport, in the rain. When we disembarked, we found ourselves outdoors, where a fleet of buses waited to drive us around for several miles around the airport on our way into Terminal 2E. There, the lines at passport control were relatively short, and very quickly I found myself in the baggage claim area. After some searching, I finally found the right conveyor belt and suitcases from the Atlanta flight started coming out. Mine was among the first ten to appear.

The TGV (high-speed train) station is close to Terminal 2E where Air France flights from North America arrive, so it was a quick walk. I looked for a pay phone along the way, and I found one, but it swallowed a couple of euros in change that I stuck into it but never allowed me to dial our home number so that I could talk to Walt and tell him I had arrived in plenty of time to catch my train down to Tours. I pushed my baggage cart onto an elevator and descended the two floors down to the TGV station to see if I could find a working phone down there. No luck.

By then it was about 9:30 and I had 45 minutes before my train was to leave the station. I went back upstairs in the airport level and looked again for a phone. Finally, I found one and was able to connect with Walt. Back downstairs — thank goodness that those elevators were working and would accommodate me and my luggage cart — I stood around for another 30 minutes waiting for my train to be announced. It eventually was, and at 10:16 a.m. I and my bags were on a train that wasn't at all crowded.

Everything was going smoothly, and I couldn't quite believe it. The train runs on tracks outside the city around the east and south sides, and and it goes fairly slowly through built-up areas. The first stop is at Marne-la-Vallée, outside the Euro-Disney theme park. The train came to a halt on the tracks before we got there. We sat for a few minutes, and then a woman's voice came on the intercom to tell us that a suspicious package that might contain explosives had been found inside the Marne-la-Vallée train station. We'd have to wait until the police bomb squad could get there to defuse it if necessary or declare it not a danger. Trains were creeping by in the opposite direction from ours.

Fifteen minutes later came an announcement that our train wouldn't stop at Euro-Disney after all, but ride quickly through the station and continue on to Tours and Bordeaux. People headed to Marne-la-Vallée would have to ride on to the next station and then get a train back to their destination later. We rolled on slowly toward the Gare de Massy, but then the train stopped again before we got there. A passenger speculated that maybe there was also a suspicious package in the Massy station. A train rolled by on its way east, and a different passenger said that maybe it was people on the trains going by in the opposite direction who were leaving the suspicious packages in the stations along the way. There was much laughter.

The train finally started moving slowing again, stopped at the Gare de Massy. A third passenger made some wisecrack about having to ride on a TGL — a Train à Grande Lenteur — all the way to Bordeaux. But after Massy, our TGV built up speed and we cruised at high speed through the emerald green countryside between Paris and Tours. We were 30 minutes late arriving, and Walt was waiting on the platform. He and I had an uneventful drive home under rainy skies, arriving about 20 hours after I left Morehead City. I hadn't slept at all. Walt had a pot of coq au vin waiting on the stove. All I had to do was start unpacking my cases and then sit down at the table and enjoy a warm, delicious lunch.

I took Callie out for a walk in the rain at about 5:00 p.m. Then I slept like a lead weight (comme un plomb) from 8:30 p.m. until 7:00 this morning. It's time to go walk the dog again right now. Whatever is happening up at Saint-Denis this morning seems very far away from Saint-Aignan

20 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home with little fanfare.

    The Saint Denis standoff (that just ended) has been running live here this evening on several channels. And news of 2 Air france flights in the US with emergency landings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was lucky that no bomb threat forced my Air France plane to do an emergency landing.

      Delete
    2. Did you hear of these two Air France flights, one from L.A. and the other one from Washington, forced to an emergency landing because of bomb threats?

      Delete
    3. The one from LA did continue to Paris after they searched plane and luggages .However, the one from DC was diverted to Halifax in Nova Scotia and it is still stranded , so to speak since it did not make it to CDG . It was going to be the same plane which would have left early this afternoon ( CDG 13:45) for DC as flight AF 054. When my sister got to Paris from Beirut this morning , she was told that her flight to DC was delayed since they were scrambling to get passengers on another plane. She was supposed to leave CDG at 15:00 ( hopefully)

      Delete
    4. And on top of everything else, some clever lady tried to open the emergency door, while a British Airways jet was flying from Heathrow to Boston.

      Delete
  2. Very happy to hear that you are safely back at Saint-Aignan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After that long and healthy sleep, maybe you won't have any jet lag after effects? I'll check later what's happening in St-Denis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it all went so smoothly, and that you're back home safely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad u werent on one of thoise that had to land....ugh....welcome home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad this part of your trip went well. I enjoyed the commentary of it from my armchair rather than physically accomplishing the 20 hours. I always love landing in Roissy, seeing the wheat fields around there, and being in France and what that means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I love landing at Roissy. The views and then just the fact of being back in France.

      Delete
  7. so glad you got home safe! i bet Walt, Callie, and Bertie were very glad to see you.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to feel that way - that the horrors are far away .. Glad you are home safe with your "family" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite an adventure as it always is for us. Those bus rides from the tarmac to the terminal kill me. After all the renovations at CDG, I would have expected fewer of them these days. Oh well. Welcome home. Did you bring home any grits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked and ate grits in N.C., but I didn't bring any back to France. Too heavy.

      Delete
  10. It is good to feel far away from it ... even when you really are not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is nice to read your flight went so smoothly even though there were some difficulties with the phones and the potential stoppage on the tracks.

    By now here's hoping you're almost past the jet lag!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?