29 July 2015

Les 100 lieux qu'il faut voir

It's amazing how our weather has changed so radically. It now rains every day, and the high temperature is in the high 60s or low 70s F. I'm sleeping under a blanket again. I'm wearing sweatpants around the house instead of bermuda shorts. All the windows in the house are shut. The electric fans have been put away.

The two big rain barrels on the north side of the house are full again. Walks with the dog in the rain are now common, and the dog needs her paws washed after every sortie. The sun rises later and later, and sets earlier and earlier, and since it's cloudy most of the time it's dark in the house when I get up. I'm sleeping later, because by my nature I get up when the sun does.

It just reminds me how you have to take full advantage of every day of nice weather in this French climate. Sometimes you don't get any summer weather at all. This year, we were lucky to have nearly four months of sunshine, from April to July. Maybe we'll get some more in August and September, but it's not something you can count on.

Back to my title: « Les 100 lieux qu'il faut voir » is another French television series that I've found on YouTube. It's a travel series with, because this is France, some food segments too. Mostly it's about the geography and history of different French regions. It's in French, with no subtitles, since it's made for French TV. Here's an episode about our region, La Touraine, featuring Azay-le-Rideau, Chinon, and Amboise, among other subjects.



There are several dozen full 50-minute episodes of "The 100 Places You Must See" here on YouTube. I'm glad people are uploading them. If you are learning French, or trying to keep your French language skills current.... well, you know what I think. Prenez le temps. Faites l'effort. And enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. What a pity days are becoming shorter and shorte fall is coming..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, it's hard to imagine being in winter again. But it will happen.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing what you can find and enjoy on YouTube when you have a tablet. With YouTube and Francetvinfo I don't need a tv set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, especially when it comes to French-language programming, which seems to be free and available. I am continuing to search for interesting French programming on YouTube. I download the videos, using an add-on for Firefox called Download YouTube Videos as MP4. We will watch all this on long, dark winter evenings by plugging an SD card or a hard disk into the television set's USB port.

      Delete
  3. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh merci for that link....I'm in heaven...just watched the pays basque one since we'll be there in oct

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this Ken. This sort of program is perfect to help me update my French, since there's little chance of me speaking it here. Carnets de Julie is something I'm also watching, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?