The interior of the church in the village of Montréal in Burgundy is all white, which makes it very luminous. The church was built in the 12th century and restored in the 19th.
Its claim to fame is a set of 26 elaborately carved oak choir stalls dating back to the 16th century. The two figures below are supposedly the sculptors' self-portrait. They're having a drink during one of the breaks in their workday. King François 1er funded their work in the 1520s.
The old bell below, installed in the church in 1623, was replaced in 1994. The church doesn't have a bell tower; the defensive tower over the nearby upper gate (La Porte d'En-Haut) in the town's fortifications served that purpose.
More photos of the wood carvings inside the church tomorrow...