03 August 2014

'Tis the season

I know it's not Christmas. But it's zucchini season. We've pretty much decided to eat zucchini every day for the next ever how many days... as long as they are showing up in the garden.


I really like these zebra-striped zucchini Walt planted this year. The look of them, I mean, and also their size, which makes them perfect for stuffing. I'm going to stuff these three with a Greek-style mix of rice, chopped olives, and ground meat today. There's a lemon sauce that you serve them with, and I'll try to make that too.

Zucchini blossoms are kind of lemon yellow. Actually, maybe we should start eating blossoms instead of waiting for zukes to form.

We also have Swiss chard out in the garden. Walt planted it a couple of months ago, and then we had quite a bit of rain. Weeds took it over, and we figured the chard plants had just died underneath all the unwanted plants.

One day a few weeks ago, I got out there and started pulling weeds. Lo and behold, I found half a dozen little chard sprouts. I cleared some space for them, and they are looking good. We both really enjoy chard, so we're happy.


13 comments:

  1. You could put some chard in your zucchini stuffing... Last night we had zucchini soup (third day, with matchstick dried sausage), zucchini slaw, fried zucchini and graines with zucchini. Today I'll make a zucchini cake and more soup... and we're giving away zucchini to all and sundry. Viva zucchini! P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I'll check your blog to see if you've put any of these recipes up there. Zucchini slaw sounds interesting. We do make deep--fried zucchini sometimes, and it's very good with a yogurt dipping sauce.

      Delete
    2. Ken, 'tis Tim here this time....
      The Slaw was a Marketmore cucumber, a Yellow Crookneck squash, a Précoce Marchaire [a similar Lebanese type to your ones above... but paler], a Round Dennis [Rond de Nice] and an Iceball [very pale Round Dennis type]...
      all coarsely grated and stirred together with approx. a serving spoon each of Heinz Tomato Ketchup and Benedicta Mayo...
      [it was what was left in the bottles]....
      allowed to stand for an hour or so...
      fresh ground salt and black&white pepper to taste, plus a teaspoon of strong Dijon...
      stir it all up again and serve...
      makes loads... but keeps in the fridge very well...
      please note, it makes what I tend to call a "wet" slaw...
      but we tend to serve bread with all meals to soak up the sauces.

      Delete
  2. Your zucchini is salad size. It is very deliciuos veggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you mean by salad size, Gosia.

      Delete
    2. So it means you can make salad from them. It is typically British English.

      Delete
    3. Ahmmm, Interesting. Never heard this before. But then I'm not British, am I ? Moreover, I guess you can cut any vegetable into 'salad size' pieces. It just requires some extra work :) Anyway, these zucchini aren't exactly bite-size, are they?

      Delete
    4. Gosia I think most people would think of salad zucchini as being smaller, but you could certainly make salad with one of these big zukes too. Walt is going to do that today by dicing up the flesh along with tomatoes, rice, and herbs. Martine, you are right — these would be bite-size for Gargantua, but not for us. They really are a good size for making zucchini 'boats'.

      Delete
  3. I've only had zucchini blossoms in restaurants! That would be fun to see your appetizing plates with the blossoms, miam-miam!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zuke blossoms are good stuffed with some goat cheese and garlic. A friend made them for us once like that. I want to do it soon, if the plants keep producing blossoms.

      Delete
  4. A friend sent me this the other day, and it looks really interesting: http://damndelicious.net/2014/06/21/baked-parmesan-zucchini/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that recipe, Emm. I grabbed it and we will definitely make it soon.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?