08 June 2014

Genillé scenes

We had lunch in the village of Genillé last week, and I posted pictures of some of the food yesterday. Here are some scenes I saw around the village church and from the restaurant window. We were treated to the best seat in the house.

I enjoyed the view of the village church from the front window of the restaurant. And I thought it was fun taking a picture of it through a glass of the wine that we were drinking, which was a very pale, 100% Cabernet Franc rosé from the wine village of Bourgueil, on the Loire just downstream from the city of Tours.

Here's the church again. Before going into the restaurant, I went inside and took some photos of the stained glass windows. They are not particularly old, but the colors are nice. Maybe I'll post some of the photos this coming week.

Looking back from a point near the church, here's a view of the front windows of the restaurant. As I said yesterday, the service was excellent, the food was delicious, and the prices were affordable. Two thumbs up.

If you need to visit the toilettes, you have to climb this old spiral staircase in the restaurants back room. I used to live in an apartment building in Paris that had a staircase like this one. I lived on the 5th floor (U.S.) or the 6ème étage (French). I was so much younger then...

I liked the posters on display in the Agnès Sorel's front window. The woman who runs the restaurant explained to us that the big plate glass windows had to be replaced after World War II, the older ones having been shattered by the force of explosions and bombardments in the area around Tours.

7 comments:

  1. I particularly like the top photo and the way you've got the reflection in the wine. I'm glad the restaurant was a success and they are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life through a rosé tinted glass? Nice...
    That restaurant is one of the most photogenic buildings I can think of...
    and, after your post yesterday, the inside looks to taste as good as the outside looks.

    We went to a vide-grenier at Genillé a couple of years back...
    the restaurant was closed and the curtains drawn...
    the menu in the frame on the window all faded...
    I thought at that time it might have been a place that had succumbed to the recession...
    but they must have just closed for the day as the town was heaving with people....
    who wouldn't have thought about eating there in a month of Sundays...
    and you couldn't see the church...
    there were shooting gallery stalls from a "fete forain" parked in front....

    We've driven through since and admired the town...
    that art exhibition looks a good excuse for a visit...
    it was mentioned in this weeks Renaissance Lochoise, but no pix...
    Azay-sur-Indre isn't far from Genillé...
    a nice drive out....

    The artist will be performing live each w/e...
    he does oils, watercolours and sculptures...
    but what will he be doing?
    That still-life watercolour looks lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES! I would not be able to climb those stairs either; I'd have to hold it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I first saw that restaurant when the sun was going down, it was especially beautiful then. The staircase is handsome with the wood base. You are showing us some nice photos this Sunday. Merci.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great week of posts Ken! Very inspiring stuff. After reading through them I've got a hankering for couscous and rhubarb tart :^), ...time to go shopping

    -craig-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your at-home posts (there is so much to show!), but it's great fun following along on your outings. Hope chm is enjoying his visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genille is absolutely endearing! The church architecture is stunning and that old restaurant definitely looks cool as well. That round staircase look rad, but I think it'd be hard to climb those on a full stomach. Hahaha! Seems like you've had a wonderful adventure. I hope I can go there someday, too. Cheers!

    Blair Berdusco @ CrebNow

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?