26 May 2014

The old Bastille

I'll be going to Paris in a few days to see CHM and other friends. I won't be seeing this sight, however, because the building doesn't exist any more. Did you know what the old Château de la Bastille looked like?


CHM gave me this image (an old postcard) nearly 20 years ago. The Bastille was built between 1370 and 1382 to protect the eastern side of Paris — in other words, to keep the English out during the 100 Years' War. Later it was used as a prison. It was demolished as a symbol of royal abuse at the time of the 1789 Revolution.

7 comments:

  1. I posted a comment about an hour ago and it vanished! Here is what I said: At first glance, it felt like déjà vu, No wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bastille was formidable
    !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, have you had any more news from folks who were no longer to post comments? Any fix from Blogger? I'm about to have my school laptop updated with the newest OS (is it Maverick? I can't keep track of the names), and I fear incompatibilities.
    Hope your mom is resting comfortably -- glad your sister is there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Judy, no more news about difficulties commenting here. My sister lives about 10 miles away from my mother's place. She is a big help to Ma right now, I know.

      Delete
  4. Ken:
    http://www.wineterroirs.com/2014/05/maisons_brulees_paul_gillet_touraine_loire.html
    Above is a link to an article about a winery near you. This blog you may follow, but if you haven't seen it there are older posts about wineries in your area. I thought it might interest you.
    I enjoy reading your posts and especially enjoy your photography.
    sincerely,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard, for the link and the nice comment. I haven't looked a wineterroirs in a while, so I'll go back to it over the next few days. I also don't know that specific winery, but I have heard the name or maybe seen signs pointing toward it. Ken

      Delete
  5. I remember this picture from my history lesson.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?