06 November 2013

Autumn scenes

When I start seeing scenes like this:

Grape leaves

I realize that autumn really has arrived and I start thinking of things like this:

Cured meats: demi-sel hamhock, saucisses (Morteau, Montbéliard, Strasbourg), and smoked pork belly

Yesterday we had to go to Montrichard for a meeting at our bank, which is over there 10 miles west of Saint-Aignan. We took advantage of the trip to do some shopping at the Netto grocery store. I like to go there every few weeks just for a change of pace in my shopping habits.

Feuilles mortes

We ended up buying all the meat we need to make a choucroute garnie, which is sauerkraut cooked in white wine and served with potatoes and salt-cured and smoked meats, including sausages. I already had the sauerkraut. I'll cook it in a couple of days and we'll eat sauerkraut for several days next week. It's good for you if you can keep yourself from eating too much meat at a sitting.

13 comments:

  1. Can you get fermented sauerkraut
    in France as opposed to the pickled variety available here
    in the States? Fermented anything
    is very beneficial to your health
    I understand.

    Looking forward to pics of the
    choucroute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les feuilles mortes se ramassent à la pelle ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci CHM! I am now going to sing that song all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Sheila, we get salt-cured --or fermented -- sauerkraut, not the vinegary, pickled variety. I love it. I buy it raw, not precooked, because I like to season and prepare it myself with spices, herbs, aromatic vegetables, and white wine. Not to mentioned the cured and smoked pork and sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour Cousin.

    J'aime mieux celle-ci:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16mH21EmNbs

    So you are getting a new Governor of VA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Cousine,

    To each his/her own! I didn't know that version by Serge Gainsbourg and I'm afraid to say, IMHO, I didn't miss much. I'll stick to Juliette Gréco and Yves Montand.

    The past few days I've been shifting back and forth, on my iPad, from Illinois to Hawaii to Virginia to keep abreast of the news. I'm exhausted.

    We went Democratic in Virginia and Equal in Illinois. Hawaii is not a done deal yet. Keep my toes crossed. Need my fingers on the keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for Illinois, and for Virginia.

    Here's one or my favorite interpretations of Les Feuilles Mortes : Patachou

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those different versions are not helping me getting that song out of my head. I haven't heard Patachou (even just her name), in such a long, long time. Her version is so jazzy, I love it! I also love Serge Gainsbourg's song. I might as well make choucroute today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Might as well, I would say. Patachou is still living. She's in her 90s and watches TéléMatin most mornings. She doesn't sing any more. I remember seing and hearing her perform on French TV 40 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beaver, I like that Ginsbourg song about les feuilles mortes. A chaque fois que je l'entends...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always a typo... Gainsbourg, bien sûr.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Je viens justement d'acheter du plat de côte salé pour faire une bonne potée :-).

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?