28 August 2009

Gone to Paris in my mind

Just a few pictures of what I anticipate over the weekend. I'll leave Saint-Aignan at about 8:00 a.m. tomorrow and arrive at the Gare d'Austerlitz in Paris just a little before noon. One night we are having dinner at La Fontaine de Mars, which is where Michelle and Barack Obama had dinner back in June when they were in Paris.

The weather is supposed to be fairly nice. I'll be spending a lot of my time in the middle of the city — the Latin Quarter, Les Halles, and the Marais. The other night we're in Paris we'll be having dinner in a café along the Seine, across the river from the Ile St-Louis and Notre Dame cathedral.

Paris cafés and sidewalks

The streets will be busy, with Parisians coming back to the city after their summer vacation, and tourists, finishing theirs too, getting ready to leave. The café terraces will be crowded, given good weather.

La rue Montorgueil, just north of Les Halles,
where I lived for three years... 30 years ago

Contrast the photo above with some of my pictures of walks in the vineyards here at La Renaudière. There, crowds and bustle. Here deer, rabbits, Callie, and often not another person in sight. And not many dinners in fine restaurants or on café terraces either.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Ken, I hope you'll have a lovely time in Paris and the Auvergne. I'm looking forward to reading about it when you get back! Martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time in Paris! I have never been to the Auvergne but it sounds beautiful. I hope you will take lots of pictures to share with us when you get back! And enjoy the Cantal. We bought some at the market this year and it must be one of my favourite hard cheeses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy!!
    Which of the two hotels did you end up choosing?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great trip. You're in for more excitement than a country boy is used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lucky guy....bonnes vacances

    ReplyDelete
  7. Save some Paris for me...

    BTW, which train are you taking that takes almost 4 hours? I thought the Onzain to Paris run was only about 2?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which cafe across from Ile St-Louis and Notre Dame? Or are you afraid of being mobbed by blog fans? (But hey, you didn't say which night.)

    Have a great time!

    John and Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll take the countryside to a big city any time but it is still nice to visit Paris once in a while.
    Can't wait to the see the pictures from "le Cantal".

    ReplyDelete
  10. John and Candy, I'm trying to be just slightly coy about all this. Not that mobs are a danger...

    Peter, by the time we drive up to Onzain, leaving enough margin so that I'm sure not to miss the train, when you add it all up it takes about three hours. Not four -- 8:45 to 11:45, door (mine) to gare (d'Austerlitz). It takes about 40 mins. to drive up to Onzain (and 40 back of course).

    Judy, I'm staying at CHM's apartment rather than going to a hotel. He offered and said I should refrain from foolish expenditures.

    Claude, yes, Sunday -- looking forward to see you too. It's been a while.

    Thanks Martine, Caroline, Nadège, Loulou, and Melinda. I'm going to post the equivalent of elevator music for the next week or 10 days...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun. The train from Rodez also arrives at the Gare d'Austerlitz -- I love taking the night train up. Talk about waking up in another world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bon voyage! Cannot wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Claude? Is that OUR Claude you are seeing on Sunday?

    I'm jealous. I want to go to Paris too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Harriett, that's the same Claude. We're having dinner together this weekend. Cheryl, wish you and Harriett could be in Paris this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?