10 May 2006

More flowers

In a previous posting (Gardening) I asked for identification of a couple of flowers that grow here at La Renaudière. Thanks especially to CHM for naming them for me -- why am I not surprised that you knew? Here's the snowball bush. It's in a neighbor's yard.

Boules de neige
or Viburnum Opulus "Roseum"
ou European snowball viburnum


The next series shows a lilac bush, I believe, along with white and light purple lilacs. The two lilac bushes are in a different neighbor's yard here at La Renaudière.

White lilac bush

White lilacs

Purple lilacs

Now I'm curious to know what these are. Here there are only flowers, no leaves. I took the picture at Hautefort in the Dordogne Valley. Here in the Loire we have the same plants, or at least similar ones.

Mystery plant

I believe this is the same plant, or a very closely related one.

Mystery plant also?

And here's a flower I photographed in La Roque-Gageac in the Dordogne Valley. I think the plant was growing in a pot.

Mystery flower

And now for some identifiable plants, just because the colors are nice.

Miniature pansies (pensées in French)

Des pensées plus importantes !

Purple petunias

5 comments:

  1. The bright orange one is a clivia. We had a whole flower bed of them when we lived in Long Beach. I also see them in N. Cal. I think the calla-like flower is a jack-in-the-pulpit, but I'm not positive.
    ChrisP
    from Kalampaka Greece (tomorrow, Delphi).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, enjoy Greece. Is the weather nice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je t'ai envoyé une photo de la plante qui, selon mon Oncle, est une mauvaise herbe très envahissante... On essaie de s'en débarrasser chaque année et cette bourrique revient tous les ans !!! Bises et bonne soirée ! Marie (Normandie, France)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voilà le nom de cette mauvaise herbe très récalcitrante : "l'arum tacheté"...

    http://www.plantes-comestibles.com/plantes-comestibles.php

    Allez, il est l'heure de dormir ! @ + ! Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susan, Merci Marie, oui, c'est une sorte d'arum. Like a cala lily. Or the spathiphyllum I have as a houseplant in the living room. I don't think my soil is wet enough to keep arums happy here. They would grow better down at the bottom of the hill, where it's damper.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?